Thursday, May 21, 2009

My "not-so-green" Thumb

This spring I've had the opportunity to start a vegetable garden with my friend Tracy. Now, I have never gardened before, and Tracy hasn't really either. So we are quite the pair, trying to figure out what the heck we're doing. But I think for the most part, we've done a pretty good job. At least things look like they are growing. That is a good sign, right? We'll see if things actually turn out. But no matter what, I chalk it up to a good experience. Here is what our garden looks like as of this morning:

We're doing the garden at Purdue Village. They rent out plots to anyone who would like one. Now, it would be good to mention that Purdue Village is family housing, and is very diverse, ethnicity wise. There are some amazing gardeners there, with some amazing garden plots. Some of them really put us to shame. But I think they are still pretty cool, so I'll share anyway.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

AAAHH! I'm so proud of our little garden! Those green beans and peas have really grown! I didn't get a chance to go out and take one last look before we left, so the last time I saw it was LAST Sunday, when things were just starting to sprout. Its crazy that they grow so fast. Thanks for posting the pictures-you'll have to do more as things grow. I hope it doesn't become too much work for you.

breckster said...

You are so brave! I think if I didn't have hayfever, didn't hate getting my hands dirty, didn't get uncomfortable after a minute of kneeling, didn't scream at the sight of bugs, and didn't live in New York I'd like to have a garden.

Mostly I just want to eat the fresh food, and feel like I didn't depend on money for EVERYTHING.

Good luck!

sharon said...

Hey cool blog!! Molly is adorable and I can't believe she is two wow!!! gardening was never my forte but it looks like you are doing a good job.