Saturday, June 27, 2009

Doing Something Right

Today at lunch Molly said her first prayer all by herself. It was one of those moments where it felt for a minute that I have been doing something right, that what we've been trying to teach is actually sinking in. Molly was so proud of herself, she just lit up and clapped for herself. She's been helping us with pretty much every prayer we say whether at mealtime or bedtime, but this was her first solo. Hopefully it's not too sacrilegious, but here was her prayer...

"Heavenly Father, day, blessings, food, bless the food, Momma, Daddy, Molly, Happy, Jesus, Amen!"

The other day we found a great deal on Craigslist for a Radio Flyer tricycle. A lot of the little girls close by have little bikes, and Molly has always been quite anxious to get her hands on them whenever she has the chance, so we finally broke down and got one since it was cheap. She has been having a blast. Unfortunately it's been crazy hot the last few days, so she hasn't had as much time as she would have liked to ride it, but we try and get a couple minutes in here and there. It's still a little big for her, and she doesn't quite have the hang of pushing the pedals with her feet, but she loves it anyway.

Molly is kicking this whole two year old thing into high gear. Though it's not very often, every now that then she will throw a crazy tantrum. I struggle with knowing when to not give in so she'll learn, but when to intervene so it doesn't go too far. Last night was one of those instances. As we were in the singing songs phase of our bedtime routine, I told Molly that we could sing one more song, and then it would be time to lay down for bed. We sang the song, then were done, but Molly started throwing a fit for another song. I tried to explain that we were done singing, and if she wanted to sit with me quietly for a couple of minutes (this seems to have become tradition just in the last week or so) then she needed to calm down. Well, she didn't calm down, so I told her she needed to get right into her crib. (Oh, and she's also still in her crib...she's never had a problem with it, and since we're not in a hurry for another baby to take over the crib, I decided I'm in no hurry to switch her to a big bed.) Well, this did not bode well with her, and hence she started throwing a major tantrum...she immediately stood up in her crib and began jumping up and down...I just told her she needed to lay down and go to sleep, then I walked out the door. She screamed for about ten minutes, and then I heard a huge "thunk". I immediately knew she had somehow fallen out of the crib, so I ran up the stairs and threw open the door...and she was just standing there in front of her crib holding her blanket. The second I opened the door she stopped crying and said, quite happily, "Momma sit!" Of course I was in a panic, and asked her if she was hurt, and she said "no! Momma sit!". So I sat with her for about 30 seconds, basically just to make sure she was OK, then put her back in her crib, and she didn't make a peep. I doubt I'll ever really know what the heck I'm doing in trying to raise a toddler, but it makes me all the more grateful for those few moments where I can see something working.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

That's too funny- "momma sit!" She knew what she wanted and she wasn't going to settle. Yea, the whole parenting thing part of tantrums is a hard call to make. Plus you have to as a mother decide which battles are worth enduring. They turn out all right though.

Buell Fam said...

Too funny! I am glad she didn't hurt herself getting out of the crib! I agree it's hard to know when to be compassionate and when to show tough love! I guess we just keep praying and trying and hopefully we won't mess them up too much!