Monday, July 13, 2009

Iowa trip

Beware, this is a really long post. I will not be offended if you don't care to read it. This is really for our benefit more than anything. On Saturday we got back from a great trip to Iowa to visit my family. We did so many fun things, and had a great time. It's amazing how time goes so fast when you're having so much fun. We didn't get a ton of pictures (I really should do better at that), but we did get a few cute ones.

Our first full day there was July 4th. It didn't FEEL like the 4th of July, but it was. We went to the local parade in the morning, and we all had fun. It was a little drizzly, and freezing, but still great. It was fun to watch Molly try and scoop up all the candy they were throwing. She even got some stuffed animals.
Hanging out, waiting for the fun to begin.

Checking out the goods.

That evening we went to a barbecue at one of my parents friends' houses. They have a huge yard that includes a lake. Molly wanted so badly to get into their little paddle boats, so she and David went out for a little spin. She was so excited for the first 5 minutes or so, but then started panicking a little. She had a lot of fun with all the cool stuff they had, though. All my sisters jumped into the lake with a bunch of their friends. It was cold just watching them, but they had a blast. Over all, it was a great day celebrating our country.

On Monday, we went to an amusement park called Adventureland. It's not huge, compared to other parks, but it was perfect for our family to go to. I didn't bother taking the camera because I didn't want to worry about it, but now I wish I did. Molly was able to ride on their kid rides, and she had so much fun. Her favorites were the boats and the trucks. She's always loved steering wheels, whether it's in our car, or on a playground, and any ride that she rode with a steering wheel was absolute heaven to her. She would really give those things a workout. It was fun going with my family...David and I were able to go on some rides while someone watched Molly. We went on a couple of water rides, and no matter who I went with, I seemed to be the one who always got the most wet. Go figure. My favorite rides still have to be roller coasters.

On Tuesday David and I were finally able to go see Star Trek. I am no longer ashamed to admit I am quite the Trekkie, but I've never really seen much of the original series. It was still a great movie, though. I think I'm almost ready to try and watch the series now.

While we were at the movie, my parents and Krista taught Molly how to say her name correctly. She knows her name is Molly, but she has always pronounced it "mommy". I have no idea why. It has made things quite confusing for some. It was good that we had decided to call me "Momma," otherwise it would have really been a mess. But now she'll say it right, unless she's going too fast, but she'll usually stop and correct herself.

That night the whole family had a fun random outing. There was a new place called Incredible Pizza opening up a store near my parent's house, and as a promotion they invited people nearby to come eat their buffet and play their games for free. Though the place was packed (who wouldn't take advantage of free food?), it was a lot of fun. They have a game area similar to a Chuck E. Cheese, with games you play to win tickets. It was great fun gambling away our free money.

On Wednesday I was able to go back to where I graduated Cosmetology School. I'm working on getting licensed here in Indiana, and I needed some Con Ed hours. It was a little strange going back, but it was fun. I didn't do a whole lot, just filled out some packets and watched some videos, but I feel a little brushed up on my Beauty knowledge.

On Thursday we went Big Creek park. It's right on a lake and has an actual beach, but one of the biggest reasons I wanted to go was because they have an awesome playground. It's huge and wood, and is just pretty cool. Unfortunately we didn't get to spend a lot of time there because it started pouring rain, but the few minutes we did have, it was fun.

Just can't move fast enough...

Molly and her Aunt Krista

On Friday we left for Nauvoo. This was the first time that David and I have had the chance to get back there since we were married in the Nauvoo Temple 5 1/2 years ago. It was pouring rain when we first got there, so while most of my family went to the temple, David and I and my dad sought refuge in the Visitor's Center. We were finally able to see the Joseph Smith movie. It was really amazing. I'm glad we had the chance to see it. The sun was shining afterward, so we were able to get out and see some things. Molly loved the Women's garden right outside the visitors center.

We ventured to Family Pastimes part of Nauvoo, and that seemed to be Molly's favorite. She loved the dress-up and their little school.

That night we went to Pageant. It was the first time I had seen the pageant since they re-did it, and I thought it was really good. It had a great story to it, and props were pretty neat.

On Saturday, before we left for home, David and I had the chance to go to a session in the temple with Katie and Mom. Though we were married there, we had never done a session. It was nostalgic being back in the temple...I can't believe it's been so long since we've been married! I'm so grateful we had the chance to do that. What a great trip...thanks, family, for some great memories!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I enjoyed reading about your adventures (now that I feel better). I'm not looking forward to "catching up" on my blog.