Thursday, August 6, 2009

Random Mollyness Continued

Heather, you're going to get some pretty big kicks out this. My friend Heather lives back in Provo, where we moved from a year ago. She has a little girl Aubrey, that Molly would play with a lot. (They were born less than two weeks apart.) It seems like recently, from reading her blog and from comments that Heather has made, that Aubrey and Molly do a lot of similar things. It's so funny reading stories about Aubrey and I'm like, "wait, Molly did the EXACT same thing," or "Molly says that all the time!".

Anyway, this is the story that reminded me of all that. Every night Molly and I, and David when he's not working, read from the illustrated kids scriptures. Molly really looks forward to that every night, and it seems like she's starting to comprehend the stories. The other night she saw a picture of someone being baptized. She was pretty curious about it, so it led into a discussion of baptism, and Molly asked to be baptized. I told her she could be baptized when she was eight. She responded with "Molly two. Eight baptized." Now, when she's going down to bed, or even at random times throughout the day, she'll repeat that. "Molly two. Eight, baptized!" I'm glad she's so excited about it.

Another similar to Aubrey story... Molly has been doing pretty well in her "big girl bed." She's only gotten out a few times at night, and will usually fall right asleep. But last week she woke up in the middle of the night, just terrified. David went in to help her, and it turned out she was scared of the night light that we had in there. She asked for us to turn it off. The next night, sure it was just a fluke, I decided to try and put it back in, but I put it in a different spot. Sure enough, in the middle of the night, Molly woke up screaming for us to turn off the night light. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson, for how could a two year old be scared of a night light? I thought it was to prevent from being scared, right? So, for a third time I put in the night light, but changed the location...and sure enough, Molly woke up in the middle of night, scared to death. Rest assured, I have stopped torturing our little girl, and have just removed the night light, but it still boggles my mind a little bit. I don't know where some of these things come from. (Just reminds me of Aubrey being scared of the smoke detector?!?)

Molly has learned my actual name. Though it annoys me a little bit, it is actually pretty hilarious. When she really wants to get my attention, she'll put her hand up to her mouth like she's using it as a megaphone, and yell "Kim! Kim!" (though she pronounces it as Tim") I guess I have David to thank for that one. Maybe I should teach her "David!"

Molly is usually a pretty obedient kid. There are of course the usual two year old moments where she just likes to ignore us, but they aren't very often. There is one thing in particular though that I've noticed she really likes to assert her authority over me...and that's when we're brushing teeth. Since she turned two, Molly has been using toothpaste that you need to spit out, and she got the hang of it right away, and was really good at it. Then one night, I told her to spit, and she looked me right in the eye, and swallowed. I thought maybe she was just being silly, but then she did it again... and again, and again! This went on for a couple of nights, so I finally told her that she couldn't have a drink after brushing teeth if she didn't spit. That seemed to solve it right away. Every now and then we'll have an issue, but I'll just mention the drink, and she's right back on track. Is that mean?

Along with being pretty obedient, Molly is also very tenderhearted. She loves to give big loves, and she's so good at them! She'll also come up to us and give us kisses in random places when she's off to play...I'll be sitting on the couch and she's decided to go play upstairs, so she'll come and kiss my knee, then say "Bye-Bye, Momma, love you!" It just melts my heart. I'm so grateful for my little girl.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

It was fun to play yesterday, and I loved hearing Molly talk. I'm so glad Amy and Molly get to be friends!

Buell Fam said...

She's so sweet! I love the kisses story. It's so funny that they have do such similar things. Jeff had to go in and put duct tape over the little light on the smoke detector and she is less scared of it now. I see her checking to make sure the tape is there at night when I put her down. There must be something scarry about little lights. Go figure!