Monday, January 11, 2010

Are You My Child?

I tell the following story, not to incur the wrath of every mother I know, but out of pure shock. Tonight after dinner, around 6 o'clock, Molly mentioned to me that it was getting dark outside. I replied she was right, and that meant that it was getting close to her bedtime. We usually don't start getting ready for bed until around 7, but Molly thought about it for a minute after I mentioned that, then said, "Momma, I'm ready for bed now. Let's take a bath!" I thought she was just kidding and told her she didn't need to take a bath right then, she could keep playing if she wanted to, but she proceeded to break down into tears and insist that it was time for bed. I finally agreed, figuring that after her bath she would realize what she was volunteering for, and thinking she would be willing to wait. Once her bath was done, I again told her she didn't need to go to bed yet, so she could play in her play room for a while. After about 15 minutes, she came back to me and said "Momma, I'm ready to get in bed now." After I picked myself up off the floor, and made sure she understood that even though she was going to bed early, she wasn't allowed to get out of bed once she was in, we proceeded with prayers, scriptures, and reading books. She was in bed with lights out by 7 o'clock, completely by her choice, and I haven't heard a peep. Now, Molly has never been one to fight going to bed, at least not terribly, but neither has she asked for bed. Am I lucky enough to have a child that can recognize she's tired enough for bed? I'm appreciating it now, but I hope I won't be paying for it early in the morning!

No comments: